Bloorview School Authority
150 Kilgour Road
The Bloorview School Authority (BSA) is one of Ontario’s six hospital-based school authorities established under Section 68 of the Education Act, mandated to provide programs for students with complex medical needs. It is the largest hospital-based school authority in Ontario and is located on the same site as Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital in Toronto. BSA provides continuing education in all elementary and secondary school grades for in-patients of the hospital. It also offers a three year (Kindergarten to grade one) full-day, Integrated Education and Therapy (IET) program for children who are out-patients of the hospital or childrens’ treatment centres.
The board shall be composed of a maximum of seven (7) members, appointed by the Minister for terms to coincide with those of elected members of district school boards.
Candidates will have knowledge of special education and a wide range of background experiences in order to maintain a balanced membership. Members will be selected with multiple criteria in mind:
• Knowledge of, and experience with, special education;
• Professional expertise, for example in business, healthcare and finance;
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Interpersonal skills to work effectively in a team;
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Other skills, as relevant to the needs of the position (i.e. treasurer); and
• Commitment to Board’s goals and services
The term of office for hospital-based school authority members is the same as that for all publicly elected school board trustees (i.e. four years beginning on November 15th) Any vacancies that occur during the four-year period may be filled by the Minister through a new appointment for the remainder of the term.
- Trustees meet at the call of the Chair and at least four times a year
Appointees are eligible to receive expenses.
Appointments & Vacancies