Public Service Grievance Board
- Labour, Training and Skills Development
180 DUNDAS STREET WEST, SUITE 600,
- (416) 326-1388
- (416) 326-1396
- Public Service of Ontario Act, 2006, S.O. 2006, c. 35, Sched. A, ss. 21(1) (opens a new window)
The Board hears grievances regarding discipline, dismissal, working conditions, and terms of employment of Ontario Public Servants who are not members of an Ontario Public Service bargaining agent.
The Board is composed of a chair and at least two other members appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
• Ability to set strategic direction, articulate and work towards a vision and oversee the implementation of plans and strategies.
• Understanding of administrative justice system, including the relevant legal principles.
• Comprehensive knowledge the legislation under the agency’s jurisdiction and related laws and legal processes or the ability to acquire such knowledge.
• Understanding of the agency's rules of practice and supporting procedures.
• Superior dispute resolution and analytical skills to resolve complex matters involving multiple interests, under public scrutiny.
• Understanding of government values and a commitment to working within government’s agency accountability structure.
• Commitment to respect diversity and to maintain fair, transparent processes that meet the highest professional standards of the agency’s Code of Conduct.
• Experience in interpreting and applying legislation with specific knowledge of the agency’s governing Act and related law.
• Advanced understanding of the justice system, administrative law, and the concepts of fairness/natural justice.
• Demonstrated analytical, conceptual, problem-solving, decision-making and writing skills.
• Impartiality and sound judgement to fairly assess cases involving issues regarding conflicting verbal/written evidence and the assessment of credibility.
• Self-confidence/self-control and sensitivity to diverse interests in order to maintain effective control in confrontational and stressful situations.
Members are appointed for a fixed term.
- As required.
Appointments & Vacancies
|1.||Chair (Part-Time)||BRIAN SMEENK||
21-Jan-2021 - 20-Jan-2023
|2.||Member (Part-Time)||ANDREW TREMAYNE||
13-Sep-2019 - 12-Sep-2022
|3.||Member (Part-Time)||MARILYN NAIRN||
05-Jan-2020 - 04-Jan-2025
|4.||Member (Part-Time)||ALLEN PONAK||
12-Mar-2022 - 11-Mar-2025
|5.||Member (Part-Time)||THOMAS KUTTNER||
21-May-2022 - 20-May-2025