Bereavement Authority Of Ontario
- Government and Consumer Services
100 SHEPPARD AVENUE EAST, SUITE 505
- Safety and Consumer Statutes Administration Act, 1996, S.O. 1996, c. 19, ss. 3-8; O. Reg. 187/09 (opens a new window)
- Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002, S.O. 2002, c. 33 (opens a new window)
The Bereavement Authority of Ontario is a not-for-profit corporation responsible for administering designated provisions of the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002, and its regulations with the purpose of protecting the public interest and ensuring a fair, safe and informed marketplace. The BAO regulates the entire bereavement sector in Ontario, including cemetery, crematorium, funeral establishment and transfer service operators; sales representatives of these operators; funeral directors; and funeral pre-planners.
The BAO is governed by a 10 member Board of Directors. The Minister appoints up to three directors to the board.
Ministerial appointed Directors are appointed at pleasure. It is within the Minister's discretion to determine the length and number of terms of an appointed Director.
- The board meets, at a minimum, 4 times per year. Additional meetings of the board may be held at any time provided that forty-eight (48) hours written notice of such meeting is given, other than by posted mail, to each Director.
- Appointees are paid by the Board.
Appointments & Vacancies
|1.||Member (Part-Time)||NORMAND ALLAIRE||
04-Sep-2019 - 03-Sep-2022
|2.||Member (Part-Time)||LEITH COGHLIN||
06-Nov-2020 - 05-Nov-2023